Bow tie diagrams
Bow tie diagrams are used in many parts of business and industry as a tool for conducting safety and risk assessments and the analysis, prevention and mitigation of risks.
These stencils (both metric and US units) contain 20 shapes in 2 stencils for creating risk analysis bow tie diagrams very quickly within Microsoft Visio, ideal for presentations, management overviews and safety manuals.
The template controls routing of connectors.
These shapes can also show different levels of threat, hazard etc by changing the shape border to, for example, red, yellow or green.
Watch a video of a diagram being created with these shapes
Download a free trial containing some sample shapes
1. Zip file for simple Visio installation or for non-Visio use
ZIP file for Visio 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016/2019 and non-Visio use.
ZIP file instructions
- In the "My Shapes" folder create a new folder "Bowtie diagrams"
- Unzip the zip file into this new folder
- Follow the instructions at How to make new templates visible
- Start Visio
- The shapes will be visible from the
(Visio 2003/2007) File -> Shapes menu
(Visio 2010/2013/2016/2019) More Shapes menu
- The templates will be visible at the
(Visio 2003/2007) File -> New menu
(Visio 2010/2013/2016/2019) New file screen
- Omnigraffle Pro, MyDraw, ConceptDraw Pro and Lucidchart Pro and other drawing programs
- Unzip the file
- Follow instructions for your software to import Visio stencils.
2. MSI installer file for Visio
MSI installer for Visio 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019
A Windows installer .msi file for Visio 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019 containing sample shapes in
Visio stencils and two templates (US and metric) in vss, vsx and vssx format. Use the format that works best in your version of Visio.
Visio_bowtie_sampler.msi updated: 7th November 2019 size: 512kB
MSI file installation instructions
- This download is digitally signed for your safety and security.
- Please ensure Visio is closed before installing these shapes.
- Just run the downloaded installer. Shortcuts to the templates will be added to your desktop, start menu and the Visio start screen. The template and stencils will be found under the category "Bowtie diagrams".
This software works with:
- Microsoft Visio 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019 (any version, Standard, Professional or Premium) and Visio for Office 365.
- ConceptDraw Pro on Mac OSX and Windows.
- Lucidchart Pro.
- Omnigraffle Pro on the Mac and iPad.
VersionThe current version is V2.22.0 dated 7th November 2019.
BuyTo purchase an instant download 24 hours per day please use the Buy Now button below to go to our buy pages which are all hosted on secure servers at our eCommerce provider, PayPro Global. You can order by credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer, bank debit, wire transfer, purchase order, money order, PayPal, or via telephone, fax, or by post. The online purchase process normally takes just 5 to 10 minutes. Prices are shown below and you can save money with volume discounts and bundles. All prices are exclusive of local taxes where applicable. There are no hidden extras, no delivery charges, subscriptions, annual fees or similar.
Use the Buy Now button for full international pricing.
You will receive an email containing a download link and registration key. These will take you to a web page where you can download the software.
Educational/Academic Site Licence
Commercial Site Licence
Recent new/changed shapes
V2.22 - 7th November 2019
- Improved installers to include all file formats (vss. vsx and vssx)
V2.21 - 9th April 2019
- Improved text location and sizing on Control shape
- Removed unused control on shapes
V2.17 - 6th June 2017
- Added vertical connector shape